This is a very fun experiment with the kids to see if it matters what soil your plants grow in. In this experiment we will see what happens when barley seeds are growing in coffee, in potting soil and in a mixture of that.
- (At least) 9 used coffee capsules
- Barley seeds or other quick growing low maintenance seeds
- A cup of potting soil
- Mixing bowl or tub
- Old spoon
- Peel the foil off the cups and thrown in the recycling
- Put the coffee from the capsule in the tub
- When you have all nine capsules emptied, rinse them
- Make the coffee in the tub wet but not sopping
- Fill three capsules about 2/3 with coffee
- Sprinkle a few barley seeds on the coffee
- Cover them with more coffee to the edge
- Repeat the same process with potting soil with three other capsules
- Lastly, mix equal parts coffee and potting soil for your last three capsules
I had to wait a week but after that I could sure see the difference! So it’s not just us humans who love a good cup of coffee to wake us up. If you do this with your kids, don’t spoil the expected outcome.