There’s a reason this dessert is served in small cups – it’s not for the faint hearted! This combination of strong coffee, chocolate and Kahlua (or whisky) packs a punch for sure – an adult dessert worth a try. It’s rich, but not overly sweet. If you love a strong brew, this baby is for you!YOU NEED:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup strong black coffee. Use at least 3 capsules/3 shots of espresso, we recommend our Ethiopian Blend.
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp caster sugar (super fine)
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips, melted
- 4 Tbsp Whisky or Kahlua (optional)
- Whipped cream (sweetened or unsweetened) and chocolate shavings to serve
- Place the cream and coffee in a saucepan over a low heat and stir together. Bring to a simmer then remove from the heat.
- Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar to combine. Stir about a half cup of the hot cream/coffee into the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Then, in a fine steady stream, add the yolk mixture back into the saucepan with the rest of the cream/coffee mixture, whisking as you go.
- Return the saucepan to a low heat and stir with a wooden spoon (do not allow to boil) until the custard thickens and coats the back of the wooden spoon.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the melted chocolate and whisky or Kahlua, if using.
- Pour into small espresso cups (mine were half cup sized) or small ramekins, and allow to cool on the bench top. Once cool place in the refrigerator for several hours, or preferably overnight. The custard will firm up and set during this time.
- To serve, top with a little whipped cream and sprinkle with chocolate shavings.
TIP: Add a tablespoon of icing sugar to the whipped cream just to add a little more sweetness.