- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 espresso cup of rich brewed espresso.
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups light corn syrup or liquid glucose
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup whole espresso beans (for decorating)
- 9 x 13 rimmed baking tray
- Waxed parchment paper, cut into 3 inch / 7 centimeter squares
Step 1:Grease your baking tray and place the parchment paper on it. Grease the parchment paper as well.
Step 2:In a sauce pan put the cream, brewed espresso, sugars, butter and corn syrup. Bring this mixture to the boil over medium heat stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
Step 3:Reduce the heat and cook, stirring every now and again until the mixture is a thick bubbling caramel. Use a thermometer to check that the temperature is around 120 degrees Celsius.
Step 4:Take the pan off the heat and add the salt and vanilla extract. Mix well and then empty the caramel onto your baking tray to let stand to cool. Do not cover the caramel while it is cooling down.
Step 5:Once the caramel has completely cooled you can now cut it into 3 centimeter squares. You can use another piece of parchment paper to rest them on. You can then either decorate them with a coffee bean on the top or drizzle dark chocolate on them to finish it off. Eating them plain is good too. If you wish to store them, you can wrap them individually in parchment paper. The above recipe makes between 70 and 90 candies. More than enough to last you the… day? Visit our store by clicking here for more coffee goodness and click here for the original recipe.