This recipe produces the best biscotti. You can't mess it up - it's fool-proof!Preparation time: 1 hour Serving: Makes up to 14 servings
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup of melted butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and place the oven rack in the centre of the oven. Line a cookie sheet with wax or parchment paper.
- Combine the sugar, flour, baking powder, salt and nuts in a large bowl and stir. Mix the eggs, vanilla extract and butter together in another bowl.
- Make a hollow in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour the egg mixture in. Mix ingredients together with a rubber spatula until it forms a dough.
- Place the dough on a flat surface and knead until mixed well, while adding extra flour in small quantities only if necessary.
- Shape the dough into a large cigar shape and cut in half. Then cut the halves and cut into about 2.5 centimetres thick, 5 centimetres wide and 30 to 40 centimetres long.
- Position on cookie sheet and press lightly with your fingers until slightly flattened.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes and reverse the pan midway through. The bars will turn golden brown and be firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and lower the temperature to 150 degrees Celsius. Allow to rest on cookie sheet for 15 minutes.
- Move bars to a cutting board using two spatulas and then use a serrated knife to slice the bars about 12 centimetres thick to form the biscotti.
- Place the bars back on the cookie sheet with cut sides down and return to the oven for 15 minutes. Turn each biscotti on the opposite side and place back in the oven for another 15 minutes.
- When you’re done, store the biscotti in an airtight container.