There are a few stories around the origin of Christmas in July; one being that it began around 1933 at a summer camp in the United States. Another story is that countries in the Southern Hemisphere, like South Africa, never truly experience the Christmas "feel" that our neighbours up north do, with their winter Christmases, hence Christmas in July!
Our winters peak in July, allowing us the opportunity to mimic a wintry Christmas, where we can indulge all the delightfully warm treats and evenings by the fire, without the scorching summer heat.
Whether you celebrate Christmas in July or not, you do not want to miss out on this hearty Chocolate Coffee Fudge recipe. The perfect treat to enjoy with a cup of coffee or hot chocolate by the fire.
The recipe requires very little time and ingredients, so keep reading to see what you need!
Makes approximately 25 fudge squares Prep time: 35mins
- 397 grams condensed milk
- 145 grams brown sugar
- 336 grams semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- Line a baking pan with wax or baking paper.
- Add the condensed milk and brown sugar to a pan over low heat.
- Cook, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Raise heat to medium and simmer for a few minutes, stirring, until it thickens.
- Remove from the heat and stir in chocolate chips and coffee. Stir until chocolate has melted.
- Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Chill for at least 2 hours.
- Remove fudge from pan, peel off paper from bottom, and cut into squares.
- Serve with a cup of coffee or hot chocolate, and enjoy.